About the Opportunity
The Museum’s Library & Archives is integral to CAM’s operations and provides a major public resource for the study of the history of Cape Ann, past and present. Access to these collections and related scholarship is of paramount importance and the Museum now seeks an individual to join its dynamic team with the ability to work collaboratively across departments, with a strong focus on bringing the Library & Archives’ vast photographic archives back to the community through processing and digitization efforts.
Reporting to the Librarian & Archivist, the Photo Archivist will manage the Library & Archives’ (L&A) vast photographic resources which range from daguerreotypes, prints, negatives, to born-digital images. This position will be tasked with organizing, inventorying, processing, and digitizing these holdings. Other tasks include collection care, photo reference, acquisitions, arrangement, and description. The Photo Archivist will work in tandem with the Librarian & Archivist in managing and enhancing the Digital Asset Management system where the digitized collection will be housed. At present, the L&A has over 15,000 digitized photographs that will need imported to the new system, as well as a substantial collection of negatives that have yet to be scanned. The largest priority of this position will be the processing of a recent donation from the North of Boston Media Group of the Photo Archives of the Gloucester Daily Times. This collection is vast in its coverage and size, with dates from 1980 through 2005, the collection estimate has the number of individual images totaling over one million.
• Oversee the preservation and safe keeping of the Library & Archives photo collections, including handling, storage, conservation and security.
• Identify, in tandem with the Librarian & Archivist, a comprehensive Digital Asset Management software, assist with its procurement and work with CAM staff and volunteers to ensure its full implementation.
• Process and digitization of the Gloucester Daily Times Photo Archives.
• Respond to daily photo research inquiries (both in-house and external) and manage rights and reproduction requests related to the Photo Archives collections.
• Engage CAM colleagues, volunteers and the general public in the Library/Archives resources and services. Includes assisting patrons in conducting research and accessing resources during a shift at the Reference Desk. 2
• Identify opportunities for collections development by researching additional grant possibilities, facilitating donor relations and acquisitions in concert with the Museum’s Curatorial staff.
• Assist in other duties as assigned by the Librarian & Archivist to support the operations and activities of the Library & Archives.
• Participate in training and supervising of interns, docents, and volunteers as needed.
• Master’s degree in library information science from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent with advanced coursework in archival management.
• 2-years professional work experience in archives, special collections, or in photo digitization required.
• Knowledge of current issues and trends in museum-based photo archives, including the best practice procedures for managing, maintaining and preserving both digital and physical photo archival records and collections.
• Proficiency in both Mac/PC and MS Office, Google Apps and archival information systems such as WorldCat, CONTENTdm, FileMaker Pro or related collections management software.
• Poise, maturity, flexibility and aptitude to work as a collaborative team player with colleagues, volunteers and the general public.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and interpersonal.
• Appreciation of the Museum’s mission and ability to be an effective spokesperson.
• Knowledge of Cape Ann history and art preferred.
• Ability to work some nights, early mornings and weekends as events and meetings require.
• Capability to lift up to 40 Ibs.
Salary: $40,000 Status: Full Time Exempt, Term position for 2022 calendar year Posted: November 24, 2021 The Cape Ann Museum is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources, Cape Ann Museum, 27 Pleasant Street, Gloucester, MA 01930.
The Cape Ann Museum Photo Archivist role is made possible thanks to the generous support of an anonymous donor.