Visitor Services Representative
About the Opportunity
The Cape Ann Museum (CAM) is a leading regional museum, a treasure and force unto itself on Cape Ann, at the epicenter of artistic and marine history in the Northeast. The Museum’s nationally significant collection includes fine and decorative arts and artifacts relating to Cape Ann’s earliest days as a major fishing and shipping port, its mid-19th century role in the granite industry, and the numerous artists who were attracted to its singular charms of light and sea, including such well known painters and sculptors as Fitz Henry Lane, Winslow Homer, Cecilia Beaux, John Sloan, Edward Hopper, Milton Avery, Anna Hyatt Huntington and Walker Hancock.
In April 2019, CAM welcomed a new Director, Oliver Barker, who with the full support of the Board, is galvanizing the Museum in new and exciting ways leading up to the Museum’s upcoming 150th Anniversary and the City of Gloucester’s 400th Anniversary in 2023.
In addition to the main Museum, CAM in 2020 celebrated the opening of the Cape Ann Museum Green campus including the completion of the new Janet & William Ellery James Center which addresses the Museum’s critical needs for expanded collections storage, exhibition and community programming space, creating entirely new opportunities to engage, excite and connect with audiences.
Reporting to the Visitor Services and Gift Shop Manager, Visitor Services Representatives are the first contact with Museum visitors and play a vital role in providing a quality visitor experience. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, as they perform a variety of duties including selling general admission, event and programming tickets as well as Museum Memberships while providing exceptional customer services in person and over the phone.
- Provide a warm and engaging customer service experience to all visitors and maintain a well-informed, working knowledge of Museum exhibitions, partnerships, and public programs at both of CAM’s locations.
- Assist with daily operations including, admissions sales, event and programming tickets, membership processing and data collection.
- Facilitate visitor support and wayfinding, manage entrance lobby to ensure timely and courteous processing of both individual and group visitors.
- Process gift shop sales and assist with entering gift shop inventory and fulfillment of online orders.
- Respond to general telephone and email inquiries.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of entrance lobby and front desk, re-stock museum maps, membership brochures and program guides as needed.
- Support the general operations and activities of the Museum in other duties as assigned by the Visitor Services Manager.
- Assist docents in preparation of guided tours.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- At least 6 months of related experience including; cash handling experience preferred.
- Poise, maturity, flexibility and aptitude to work as a collaborative team player in multi-tasking environment with demonstrated flexibility to meet shifting demands and priorities.
- Knowledge of ticketing and point of sales system as well as strong computer skills including MS Word and Excel.
- Appreciation of the Museum’s mission preferred.
- Ability to work some nights, early mornings and weekends as events and meetings require.
- Capability to lift up to 20Ibs and capacity to stand for extended periods.
Hours: Thurs - Sun Approximately 25 hours/per week
Some flexibility may be required.
The Cape Ann Museum is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply. For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources, Cape Ann Museum, 27 Pleasant Street, Gloucester, MA 01930.