CAM Youth and Family Programs
Explore CAM’s collections as a family and learn about Cape Ann’s rich cultural history through our fun and educational child friendly programs. Learn a new craft or art technique in the CAM Studio during Second Saturdays or take a self-guided tour by participating in our seasonal Cassie the Sea Serpent Scavenger Hunt. Our youth and family programs are designed to support in-school and home-schooling initiatives and to encourage creativity for all ages.
Upcoming Youth and Family Programs include:
- Cassie's Scavenger Hunt Follow the Cape Ann Museum's family-friendly guide, Cassie the Sea Serpent, through the galleries! Inspired by the Cape Ann Sea Serpent, which was seen by hundreds in Gloucester Harbor between 1817-1819, Cassie poses questions and activities for students of all ages to engage with the collection. Visit the front desk and pick up a copy of Cassie’s Scavenger Hunt to find some of her favorite pieces in the Museum! Updated seasonally with new artwork, Cassie’s Scavenger Hunt provides a fun, approachable museum experience for visitors of all ages.
- Second Saturdays: Second Saturdays are family days at CAM! The museum is free for all Cape Ann residents every second Saturday of the month. Join us in the CAM Studio from 10:00 – 3:00 for a new art project inspired by the museum collection.
- Storytime with Cassie: Enjoy the Museum galleries during an interactive story time with Cassie the Sea Serpent followed by an art activity led by museum educators in the CAM Studio. Each month explores a different theme taken from the Museum’s collections and the history and culture of Cape Ann. This program is free and open to children ages 3-5, accompanied by an adult. Registration is suggested.
- Tell Me a Story: Tell Me a Story explores storytelling in books and art works. Over the course of a few weeks, we will read a chapter book and explore similar narratives found in the Museum’s art objects. At the end of each book, participants will create their own artwork based on these themes. This program is free and open to children ages 6-9, accompanied by an adult. Registration is required for the entire program.
- Free Family Tours: Every last Saturday of the month, enjoy a free family friendly tour of the Museum’s collections. Each month we will explore a small selection of artworks and objects through interactive storytelling and engagement.
- School Vacation Weeks: Throughout the school year, CAM works with our community partners to provide educational and creative programming for children during school vacation weeks.
Upcoming Youth & Family Programs.